Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Rain By: Qoc’avib

I remember when, it rained
on sunny days in the tropics,
Lush, bright, humid, steamy

How, when the rain hit,
It was like,
Invoking avidity for emotions
A poetic ecstasy
Let’s call it, orgasmic

Tell me if you’re feeling me

Euphoria, listening to the rain strike the rooftops
Of the house three doors down…
Two doors…

Next door…

Haaa… I could only bite my lip and release
the muscles tensed inside me as

It hit my open aired shelter
Listening, was the equivalent to a massage
Utterly uplifting, relaxing
To listen to the shower’s raining lead,
pelting the zinc roof up top

Picture a bucketful of water
Never loosening its intensity
Poured slowly, on top of the lean-to

Imagining myself, totally engulfed by the rain
Letting the silky slick drops, saturate my sodden skin,
On that sweaty summer evening

For days and nights on end, the rhythmic cascades wouldn’t stop

Or other times,
The downpour wouldn’t last ten minutes
Not nearly long enough even to raise the dust
from the dirt
Off the street
Let alone convert it to mud

But when it did stop,

It just vanished, like an unfinished sentence. . .

Leaving everyone with this feeling of uncertainty

Glancing over their shoulders
As though they had lost something

But not quite sure what…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Qoc'a, you have always had a gift for allowing a reader to taste what can usually only be felt, or feel what can only be heard and so forth. I still have the other poem you wrote last year at the workshop about the rain, and even though the subject matter is the same, it is a different aspect of it. After reading this, I can't wait until the next storm.